Chinese herbal black chicken noodle soup
My grandfather made the best chicken noodle soup. He used to make his own rice wine too, which of course made all the difference.
I used a cloudy sake in lieu of a good rice wine.
So here’s my dad’s attempt at transcribing the “recipe” to me, with my links to what some of the more foreign ingredients are:
( most important ingredient which gives the spirit of this dish)
3. Chinese black mushroom (you can put as many as you like)
4. Ginger root
6. Rice wine
1. Rinse the chicken in the boiling water for a few minutes to remove the blood / smell
2. Put everything into a pot, add sufficient water, boil then simmer for 1 hour or until the chicken becomes tender enough to eat.
3. Add “rice wine” to your bowl when you eat. (you can also add some rice wine when cooking)
For noodle soup:
1. Cook the 麵線 (hair-thin noodles) in a boiling water until they are done.
2. Put the noodles in a bowl and add the chicken soup and rice wine
4. Pick up a pair of chopsticks and enjoy…..with good music…..